In 1954, H. Art Williams founded H.A. Williams Engineering, opening his first office on High Street in the Columbus neighborhood of Clintonville. Since the beginning, Art’s philosophy was that personal contact was the best way to do business. This mindset helped the company flourish in its early years, and it quickly outgrew the first three office spaces it occupied. Eight years after starting the business, Art incorporated the company under the new name of H.A. Williams & Associates, Inc.
Ten years after founding his company, Art decided to “go all the way” and design an office building to meet the needs of his employees. This building — the current home of HAWA’s Columbus office — is located on 980 Old Henderson Road. In 1970, an expansion of the building to its present state was completed.
As the business expanded, Art continued to increase the ownership group, which positioned the company for ongoing operation beyond Art’s involvement. In July of 1983, Art Williams fully retired.
Driven by clients’ needs, the firm expanded into Cincinnati and officially opened an office there in 1988. It was at this time that the company changed its name to H.A. Williams Associates, Inc.
In 1998, the company changed its name to HAWA Incorporated, with “HAWA” in recognition of the history of H.A. Williams Associates.